NEW UK Student and Child Student immigration routes
The Government announced earlier today (September 10, 2020) that the UK’s new Student and Child Student routes, which are part of the UK’s new points-based immigration system, will open for applications on 5 October. These routes will replace and improve upon the existing Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Child) student routes.
From 5 October, all prospective international students, including those from Europe coming to study in the UK after the end of the transition period, will need to apply through the Student route before coming to UK. Further guidance for EEA students can be found on GOV.UK
EEA students resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 do not need to apply through the route. They, and their family, are eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme and have until 30 June 2021 to do so. More information on the EU Settlement Scheme can be found here.
The early launch of the route aims to give prospective students maximum time to prepare; those applying will be able to make an application six months in advance of travel to the UK.
EU Settlement Scheme guidance
- EU, EEA or Swiss students who are already resident in the UK or become residents in the UK by 31 December 2020, should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021.
- Successful applicants to the EUSS can continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 and will be given either settled status or pre-settled status, depending on whether they have lived in the UK for a continuous five year period.
- The Student route will be open to EEA students as well as international students from 5 October however, EEA students resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, should not apply through the route. They, and their family, are eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme and have until 30 June 2021 to do so. More information on the EU Settlement Scheme can be found here.
- Access the translated communication and guidance on GOV.UK
- Sign up to receive a regular Community Bulletin from the Home Office for updates on the latest EU Settlement Scheme news and activity.